Society has reacted in a variety of ways to the introduction of industrialization.
Firstly, society views industrialization as a form of entertainment. In the Disney film Big Hero 6, there is a scene in which two robots fight with each other. Although our technology has not advanced to the point where we fight with robots for our enjoyment. The scene in the movie depicts an ideal future that many people in society may be expecting sooner or later.
Secondly, many people have taken full advantage of industrialization especially in terms of factory owners. In one particular city in China, "a technology company has set up a factory run almost exclusively by robots" (Forrest). The company claims that "the robots have produced almost three times as many pieces as were produced before" (Forrest). In this example we can examine that industrialization has led to robots replacing the workforce. This is just one of many ways that people use technology for benefits.
Lastly, there are those who fear that industrialization may lead to our demise. A man named Stephen Hawking, a physicist and cosmologist, claims that "the development of full artificial intelligence could spell the end of the human race" (Gaudin). Hawking is just one of many people who believe that human beings may be eliminated with the advancement of technology. It is interesting to think that robots can and may have a mind of their own as technology advances.
Overall, industrialization is seen as both a blessing and a curse. In many ways industrialization has led to more productive lives and in other ways it may lead to both our mental and physical destruction.
- Cummings, Kelsey. "Cummings: Technology Stifles Creativity, Original Thought." Iowa State Daily. N.p., 17 Dec. 2013. Web. 03 July 2016.
- Forrest, Conner. "Chinese Factory Replaces 90% of Humans with Robots, Production Soars - TechRepublic." TechRepublic. N.p., 30 July 2015. Web. 03 July 2016.
- Gaudin, Sharon. "Stephen Hawking Fears Robots Could Take over in 100 Years." Computerworld. N.p., 14 May 2015. Web. 03 July 2016.
- Storyteller, The. "Big Hero 6 "Hiro's Robot Fight" - High Quality (FULL SCENE)." YouTube. YouTube, 04 Feb. 2015. Web. 03 July 2016.
- Vesna, Victoria. "Robotics Pt1." YouTube. YouTube, 15 Apr. 2012. Web. 03 July 2016.
- Knight, Helen. "Humans and Robots Work Better Together following Cross-training; Swapping of Roles Improves Efficiency." ScienceDaily. ScienceDaily, 11 Feb. 2013. Web. 03 July 2016.
- Konrath, Jill. "Technology Driving You to Distraction? LifeHealthPro: Life & Health Insurance News & Sales Tips. N.p., 20 Dec. 2014. Web. 03 July 2016.
- Nisen, Max. "Toyota Is Becoming More Efficient by Replacing Robots with Humans." Quartz. N.p., 07 Apr. 2014. Web. 03 July 2016.
- "Robots Taking over the World." Y2M Youth to Marketing. N.p., 19 Mar. 2013. Web. 03 July 2016.
- Taylor, Daniel. "How Is Technology Changing Our Society? | CSGlobe." CSGlobe. N.p., 25 May 2013. Web. 03 July 2016.