Sunday, July 24, 2016

Event 3 Blog: Griffith Observatory

The last place that I visited was the Griffith Observatory. I never realized how high up it was, but its altitude makes sense in order to be able to view the sky and space more clearly. I remember coming here before, but I did not visit the planetarium. I was excited to see what was in store for my visit there.


Proof That I Went in Picture Below

Upon entering the planetarium, I came across the Foucault Pendulum. This was created by French physicist Jean Bernard Léon Foucault which gave the first direct proof that Earth rotates on its axis. It was interesting to see this work of art that involves science in its process.


Upon looking at the ceiling directly above the Foucault Pendulum was The Ballin Ceiling Mural. The mural depicts the early myths that people believed in to understand what they saw in the sky. There are illustrations of Jupiter with thunderbolts, Venus and the four seasons, Saturn, etc. I was in awe of this beautiful art piece. There were many intricate details and if I focused on one part of the mural, I saw and learned more about what people believed in and how it led to our naming of materials in space.


I looked at the telescope next. It was amazing that this device allowed us to view even further out into space than with the naked eye. Now, with spacecrafts, we are able to view farther out into the galaxy and even see the death of stars and supernovas. These amazing events are depicted in the form of art such as with wallpapers. They are truly spectacular sights to behold and it does not seem weird to think of space as a form of art.


Lastly, I observed the difference in making things look bigger in space with a telescope and in art with forced perspective. In order to view faint or distant objects, we need to use a telescope to magnify them. In art, artists use a concept called forced perspective in order to make objects look bigger. Juxtaposing the two indicates that scientists and artists share in the tasks that they complete.


It made me happy to come to the Griffith Observatory. I got to see the famous Hollywood sign and take a picture of it as well learn more about the relationship between space and art. Once again, I was able to verify what I learned in lecture.


Images (Stars and Forced Perspective) Sources:
  1. Kikkert, Sarah. "Exploring the Stars | Chant Claire Chamber Choir." Chant Claire Chamber Choir. N.p., 08 Feb. 2016. Web. 24 July 2016. <http://chantclaire.org/exploring-the-stars/>
  2. Nėjė, Julija. "People Playing With Clouds And Forced Perspective." Bored Panda RSS. N.p., n.d. Web. 22 July 2016. <http://www.boredpanda.com/cloud-photography-forced-perspective/>

No comments:

Post a Comment