Sunday, July 24, 2016

Event 2 Blog: LACMA

For my next trip, I decided to visit LACMA on the free admission day which is on every second Tuesday of the month. I was extremely excited to come here because it had been a long time since I came and I wanted to see how much I would remember from my last trip to LACMA in elementary school. It turned out that I did not remember anything.


I first entered the Ahmanson Building. I came upon the Stowe Vase exhibition. There were three different versions of the vase. The first is the original Roman Stowe vase. The second is a silver version of the vase created by Paul Storr from London, England. The last is a 3-D representation of the vase created by Michael Eden. By observing these vases, we can analyze the different materials as well as histories of the vase. Each vase belongs to a different period in time and the last vase, actually involves science. It was truly spectacular seeing how science was used to create art.



Next, I want to mention the sixty photographs of palm trees in the Ahmanson Building. As I was leaving the building, I saw these photos by Philipp Scholz Rittermann and I could not help but admire these pictures. I thought that they were great pictures and works of arts, and I also believed that they were very informative of the diversity among the trees in Robert Irwin's Primal Palm Garden.



I visited the Hammer Building afterwards and came across the Shooting Wallpaper by Brigitte Zieger. At first, I thought that it was just a picture, but soon realized that it was actually a film. A woman sat in the center and a few moments later, she stands up and starts shooting in different directions towards the viewers which included me. I thought this was a powerful piece of art in that not only did it include science in its nature as a looped animated film, but it also perpetuated gender stereotypes as well as indicate that we are so desensitized to on-screen violence which I believe is due to the violent games that we are exposed to as children and teens.


My experience at LACMA was amazing and truly eye-opening. Like at the Getty Center, I was able to validate what I learned from lectures. I hope that I can come back again and visit the tar pits!


No comments:

Post a Comment